Black River Memorial Hospital first began in 1964 when a separate corporation formed from the existing Krohn Clinic and Hospital, founded in 1932 by Dr. Eugene Krohn and his sons Dr. Irwin Krohn and Dr. Robert Krohn.
Funding for Black River Memorial Hospital came from three sources:
- A grant of federal funds from the Hill Burton Program
- A revenue bond from the city of Black River Falls
- Donations from over 2,000 local citizens
The hospital's strong medical community includes healthcare providers from the Krohn Clinic and the Ho Chunk Health Care Center.
- The hospital has had a long-standing relationship with the Krohn Clinic, and we share a medical staff of family medicine physicians, general surgeons, a psychiatrist, a podiatrist and family nurse practitioners.
- The hospital's relationship with the Ho Chunk Health Care Center began in 1989 when the Health Care Center opened. Together, we share a medical staff of family medicine and internal medicine physicians and family nurse practitioners.
The hospital has many consulting healthcare providers who specialize in Ophthalmology; Urology; Pathology; Radiology; Orthopaedics; Cardiology; Surgery; Otolaryngology; Ear, Nose, and Throat; Psychiatry; Podiatry; Pain Management and Nephrology.
Since Black River Memorial Hospital opened in 1968, healthcare has gone through significant changes including improved diagnostics, advancements in technology, changing economics, shorter hospital stays, increased outpatient care, increased emergency room visits and a greater emphasis on community outreach programs and services. We have kept up with these changes by adding new services to meet our patients' needs. Some of those services include urgent care, homecare, hospice and dialysis. But even with the changing healthcare environment, our vision has remained the same, "to be the healthcare provider and employer of choice in our service area." And this is reflected in all that we do.